Closest City: Bhuj
- If you are taking the trains, its best to book for Bhuj (an overnight journey)
- Once at Bhuj, you can hire an auto-rickshaw or cab to take you to Rann. Its about two hours from the Bhuj station
- Alternatively, you can travel to Ahmedabad (a lot more options to get here) by trains or busses – the journey is about 7 hours long
- If your pocket/luck is great, you can fly there too
- From Ahmedabad, Bhuj is another 7 or so hours away and 2 hours further is Rann
Stay: Since this trip was only for the music festival, we stayed at the venue itself.
Getting around: Rann is a desert and if you want to go around, the local auto guys will happily pass on their numbers to you. Though, I noticed that many groups chose to just hire a cab fulltime from bhuj for their entire trip.
Food: Again, since we were only at the festival, we didn’t really explore the local culinary. However, we had a couple of hours to spare in bhuj, on our way back to Mumbai, and we asked a couple of locals who recommended Toral at Hotel Prince. They have a gorgeous traditional Gujarati thaali. It was absolutely delicious and soul satisfying. Very recommended.
Show me the money
- Tatkal tickets: 1490 per head/per journey
- Auto ride to bhuj: 250 per head
- Stay – 3000 per tent for two, for three nights
- Bus from the venue to Bhuj: 350 per head
- At the festival: around 4-4.5k for two people, for two days (yes, we love to eat)
- Toral (Thali): 250 per thali
- Misc: 500